Regulations and rules
The General Assembly issues broad legislative directives to the Secretary-General on the management of the United Nations through regulations. Within the framework of the regulations, the Secretary-General issues rules stating the manner in which the regulations will be implemented.
Key regulations and rules
- Financial Regulations and Rules
- Regulations and Rules Governing Programme Planning, the Programme Aspects of the Budget, the Monitoring of Implementation and the Methods of Evaluation
- Staff Regulations and Rules
- Regulations Governing the Status, Basic Rights and Duties of Officials other than Secretariat Officials, and Experts on Mission
- Rules Governing Payment of Travel Expenses In Respect Of Members of Organs or Subsidiary Organs of the United Nations
Delegation is the process by which authority for implementation of regulations or rules can be granted, in whole or in part, by one individual vested with this authority to another individual.
The framework for enhanced delegation of authority under the new management paradigm is reflected in ST/SGB/2019/2. As a result of this shift, heads of entities across the Secretariat receive authority directly from the Secretary-General rather than receiving authorities through sub-delegations through the Department of Management.