Staff Regulations and Rules
The current version of the Staff Regulations and Rules is ST/SGB/2018/1 (1 January 2018).
The Staff Regulations and Staff Rules apply to the Secretariat and the funds and programmes with the exception of the World Food Programme, to which the Regulations and Rules of the Food and Agriculture Programme apply. Secretariat administrative issuances (ST/SGBs and ST/AIs) implementing the Staff Regulations and Staff Rules only apply to the Secretariat, as each organization using the Staff Regulations and Staff Rules of the United Nations issues its own policies on the implementation of the Regulations and Rules.
Staff regulations set out the broad principles of human resources policy for the staffing of and administration of the Secretariat and the separately-administered funds and programmes, and are established by the General Assembly under Article 101.1 of the United Nations Charter, which states:
The staff shall be appointed by the Secretary-General under regulations established by the General Assembly.
Staff rules are issued by the Secretary-General under Staff Regulations 12.2 through 12.4. These are provisional until after they have been reported to the General Assembly. The General Assembly may direct that a rule or amendment be withdrawn or modified. The rules enter into full force, after taking into account the modifications and/or deletions directed by the General Assembly, on 1 January of the year after the provisional rules were reported to the General Assembly.
- ST/SGB/2019/2 Delegation of authority in the administration of the Staff and Financial Regulations and Rules (from 1 January 2019)
- ST/SGB/2015/1 Delegation of authority in the administration of the Staff Regulations and Staff Rules (until 31 December 2018)
- ST/SGB/2017/1 (16 December 2016)
- ST/SGB/2016/1 (1 July 2016)
- ST/SGB/2014/1 (1 January 2014)
- ST/SGB/2013/3 (1 January 2013) and Amend. 1 (12 August 2013)
- ST/SGB/2011/1 (1 January 2011)
- ST/SGB/2010/6 (2 September 2010)
- ST/SGB/2009/7 (21 October 2009)
Prior to 1 July 2009, separate rules governed staff with contracts issued under the separate 100, 200 and 300 series of the Staff Rules, which were unified under resolution 63/250 of 24 December 2008.
- ST/SGB/2000/1 Staff Rules—100 series
- ST/SGB/2000/2 Staff Rules—200 series applicable to technical assistance project personnel
- ST/SGB/2000/3 Staff Rules—300 series governing appointments for service of a limited duration