Disposition of assets of peacekeeping operations (Financial Regulations and Rules)
Following the liquidation of a peacekeeping operation, equipment and other property shall be disposed of in accordance with the Financial Regulations and Rules and in the manner indicated below:
- (a) Equipment in good condition that conforms to established standardization or is considered compatible with existing equipment will be redeployed to other peacekeeping operations or will be placed in reserve to form start-up kits for use by future missions;
- (b) Equipment not required for current or future peacekeeping operations may be redeployed to other United Nations activities funded from assessed contributions, provided that there is a demonstrated need for the equipment;
- (c) Equipment not required for current or future peacekeeping operations or other United Nations activities funded from assessed contributions but which may be useful for the operations of other United Nations agencies, international organizations or non-governmental organizations will be sold to such agencies or organizations;
- (d) Any equipment or property not required or which it is not feasible to dispose of in accordance with subparagraphs (a), (b) or (c) above or which is in poor condition will be subject to commercial disposal in accordance with the procedures applicable to other United Nations equipment or property;
- (e) Any assets which have been installed in a country and which, if dismantled, would set back the rehabilitation of that country shall be provided to the duly recognized Government of that country in return for compensation in a form to be agreed by the Organization and the Government. This refers in particular to airfield installations and equipment, buildings, bridges and mineclearing equipment. Where such assets cannot be disposed of in this manner or otherwise, they will be contributed free of charge to the Government of the country concerned. Such contributions require the prior approval of the General Assembly.
A report on the final disposition of assets for each liquidated peacekeeping operation shall be submitted to the General Assembly.
The following authorities are delegated to heads of entities under the standard delegation of authority reflected in Annex III of ST/SGB/2019/2:
- Disposition of assets of peacekeeping operations (except for real property)
- Disposition of real property of peacekeeping operations
- 2018.08 Guide for Senior Leadership on Field Entity Closure
- 2018.26 Development of Mission/Field Entity Support Division Closure Plan
An amendment to the regulation was proposed as part of the amendments to the Financial Regulations and Rules proposed in A/73/717, but these proposals were not acted upon by the General Assembly.
- There are no rules associated with this regulation.
- 2018.08 and associated guidelines replace the earlier DPKO/DFS Liquidation Manual (2012.18)