The Executive Committee was established in January 2017 as a mechanism to assist the Secretary-General in taking decisions of strategic consequence across all pillars of the work of the United Nations.
The Executive Committee replaced the Policy Committee established in 2005.
The Committee is chaired by the Secretary-General, and the Assistant Secretary-General for Strategic Coordination serves as secretary of the Committee. As originally established, the Committee included the following standing members, with additional officials invited as appropriate:
- Deputy Secretary-General (EOSG)
- Chef de Cabinet (EOSG)
- Senior Adviser on Policy (EOSG)
- Under-Secretary-General for Management (replaced by DMSPC after management reform)
- Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs (replaced by DPPA after peace and security reform)
- Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping (replaced by DPO after peace and security reform)
- Under-Secretary-General for Field Support (replaced by DOS after management reform)
- Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs
- Assistant Secretary-General for Peacebuilding (now part of DPPA after peace and security reform)
- Emergency Relief Coordinator
- High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Executive Director of UN-Women
- Chair of the United Nations Development Group (role now held by Deputy Secretary-General after development system reform)
The Assistant Secretary-General for Strategic Coordination also chairs the Deputies Committee, which consists of Assistant Secretaries-General of the same departments and offices represented in the Executive Committee. The Deputies Committee is responsible for resolving as many issues as possible at its level to leave the Executive Committee free to focus on issues requiring principal-level attention, and to follow-up and monitor progress on the implementation of decisions taken by the Executive Committee.
- Letter from the Secretary-General, dated 3 January 2017
- ST/SGB/2005/16 New mechanisms to strengthen the executive management of the United Nations Secretariat